They’re gone… and follow friday fun

May 17, 2012

I sit here in my blogging space, the lights on low, Eureka on in the background, hubby on the couch,  the kids in bed and my heart just a little sad.

My family was here in Florida, visiting from Germany for the past 10 days. My 73-year-old great-uncle who has never flown,my uncle and aunt who accompanied him here to see us and the life we lead.

They spent their time between our home and my mom’s and we all had so much fun together. We shared so much laughter and told many stories. I loved having them here and only wish it could have been just a little longer. I always feel that way, them leaving here, me leaving there. It never changes.

I cried, when they left, going back to Germany, to their home, not mine anymore. It’s hard when family lives so far and I’m only glad to have my mom and dad here, only a few hours car ride away.

I love my life here and have planted my roots with my own family but still, I miss them. The people I grew up with, share so many memories with and love. No matter what, the love will always be there.

I’m glad, they were here. I’m glad, my great-uncle got to see where and how my mom and I live and how beautiful this place is we now call home. I’m also glad, he got to see the fun times to be had at a Hooter’s. 🙂

Now it’s time to put the sadness away, think of the smiles and laughter and look forward to the next time we’ll see each other, whenever that may be.

********************************************************************

Friday is here and so is Hilary with her Follow Friday Four Fill in Fun at Feeling Beachie. Each week she posts four statements with blanks for us to fill in on our own blogs. If you want to send her some statements she would surely appreciate it and if she chooses yours, you could be co-host. So what are you waiting for? Join us for some fun!

This weeks statements are:

1.       I like to avoid ___ if possible

2.       ___ is a virtue I do not have

3.       Sometimes the _____________ are the ______________

4.       I think that _____________ are the best _____________

My answers:

1. I like to avoid driving into down-town Miami if possible. (It’s crazy down there.)

2. Spontaneity is a virtue I do not have. (I prefer to plan things in advance so that there are no surprises.)

3. Sometimes the unexpected, out of the blue things are the most wonderful things ever to happen.

4. I think that spending time with the people you love, having fun and laughing so hard that you cry are the best times ever spent.

Photobucket

• Kerry May 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

So glad you enjoyed the precious time with your family. I am sure seeing how much you miss them that they too are missing you!

• Susi May 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Yes, I believe they will miss us too and the time spend in our paradise. It was so much fun and so good to have them here again.

• Janice May 18, 2012 at 1:02 am

Loved those answers!! I remember the relatives that visited us from Germany when I was a young middle school girl, it was chaos at times but the love for each other over road the language barrier. How fun for you all!

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm

The language barrier wasn’t bad… both my mom and I speak fluent German( we were born and raised there) and my hubby did great. I was quite impressed with his language skills.

• TBM May 18, 2012 at 4:15 am

Being away from family can be difficult. The holidays last year were our first after moving out of the US and it felt odd. We have some family arriving on Sunday and I’m sure when they leave I will be sad as well. I feel for you…it is hard.

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

It is hard even after being gone for so long. I don’t know if that’s why, or not. Hope you enjoy your time with your family.

• Hilary May 18, 2012 at 7:08 am

Sorry your family is gone, but glad you had so much fun… Your answers make me smile – aren’t 2 and 3 sort of opposites? But, I understand… it is like dreading going to the gym and then having so much fun and feeling so good when you actually get there…

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Yes, exactly. We all had great fun. You should have heard Sweetheart speak German… he did fantastic.

• Briana May 18, 2012 at 7:40 am

Being away from family is really hard, but it’s so nice they were able to come for a visit. I’ve been to downtown Miami before – it is crazy down there! 🙂

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I prefer if hubby drives to Miami when we have to go. My sister used to live there and as much as I wanted to see her, I dreaded it each time.

• Beth Ann May 18, 2012 at 8:25 am

Wonderful answers!!! So filled with truth!!! And I don’t think I would venture into downtown Miami driving!!! Yikes!!! Though I have driven a lot of places I never thought I would that just sounds scary!!! Sorry your family is gone and you are feeling a little sad but so glad they were there and you have such great memories!!! That is awesome!!! I think I get the blues after family visits, too, just because I wish it could last longer….Course no one comes to visit us in Iowa…..for some reason…..

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I would come visit you in Iowa… never been there! 🙂 And yes, I’m glad for the memories.

• Veronica @ Germlisch May 18, 2012 at 8:41 am

Aw, I know exactly how you feel when family visits from overseas! As hard as it was to see them leave, be happy that they were able to see where you live (as you mentioned) and start planning your next vacation to Germany..

I’ll be waiting for you. hahaha 😉

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Ha ha. Since my family lives fairly close to you it could very well happen so you better be prepared!!! 🙂 I’m sure for you it’s even harder since your mom lives all the way in California.

• Karen May 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

I’m sorry you are going to miss your family, but I’m glad they were able to come visit and have a good time.

I’m with you on not being spontaneous. I MUCH prefer to know exactly how and when things are going to happen.

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m glad they were here, too and that’s what I’m trying to remember… the positive.

• Megan@MondayMorningMusings May 18, 2012 at 11:33 am

I feel your sadness. I have family who lives far too, thank God for Skype, otherwise it would be just too hard.

(PS, your link in the follow Friday Linky tool is not working)

• Susi May 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll have to see if Hilary can fix it. I love Skype.

• Carley May 19, 2012 at 12:27 am

I always enjoy your posts! I especially enjoyed your number #4 response!

• Susi May 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Thanks Carley. I’m glad to hear that. 🙂

• Sarah K. (The Mama Pirate) May 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

I can’t imagine how hard that must be to miss your family like that. Did you get to take lots of pictures while they were visiting to remember it by?

Hah, I didn’t do this follow Friday but my answer to #1 would’ve have been like yours but in downtown Atlanta!

• Susi May 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Yes, we took pictures. My mom took pictures. So we have that. My hubby has been to Atlanta and he always said it’s pretty crazy!!! 🙂

• Jennifer May 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more on # 3!!
    And I lack the spontaneity thing too!

• Susi May 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Being spontaneous really isn’t my thing. I’d rather have a little warning. Just a little. 🙂

• Rach (DonutsMama) May 19, 2012 at 10:33 pm

So hard when dear family leaves (or when you’re the one to leave). My parents only live 3 hours away, but it feels so far and I’m always sad when they leave or I leave after a visit with them.

• Susi May 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

My mom is about 2 1/2 hours away and it seems it’s so close but with all of our crazy schedules we don’t get together as often as I would like.

• Rebecca May 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

What a wonderful post about your family. 🙂

I like to plan things in advance, too, but I liven things up with a little improv now and then. 🙂

• Susi May 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Yes, once in a while it’s wonderful to just go with the flow and let things happen. But not too often. 🙂