I am Susi {with an “i”}

November 13, 2012

My whole life I’ve been Susi.

From as early as I can remember everyone has always called me Susi.

If I heard Susan, I could be fairly certain that I was either in big trouble, at a doctors or in a new class at school.

The beginning of every school year heard the familiar refrain of “It’s Susi!” from my classmates when a teacher called on me with Susan.

Before I even started elementary school every teacher there knew me as Susi — the joys of small town life and living right next to the school.

When I meet new people I introduce myself, you guessed it, as Susi.

It’s just who I am. I identify myself as Susi.

Even my children didn’t realize until they were older that my “real” name is Susan.

To my niece, I’m aunt Susi! ( I quite like that one.) As a preschool teacher I was Miss Susi to the kids in my class.

To everyone around me I’m Susi — the daughter, the sister, the wife, the mother, the friend.

And yes, it’s Susi with an “i” because that’s how it’s spelled in Germany.

The reason I’m writing this is a) to help me clear my mind and b) to let you guys know that I seem to be having a bit of anΒ identityΒ crisis when it comes to my blog name.

I just feel like that BocaFrau is not me– anymore or never was — I’m not sure. It seemed a wonderful name when I first started blogging a little over a year ago…

After reading more “Blogging for Dummies” books than I care to count and immersing myself into all things blogging I wanted to get started, get my hands dirty and see what it was all about for myself.

I was throwing around ideas, none of which I can remember today, and none of which I cared for.

Hubby came up with the final name and I liked it. It was short, seemed to say what I needed and it just jived.

Now, I find myself more and more hampered in by the name.

Yes, I live in Boca (Raton) and yes, I am a Frau. (Do you even know what it means?)

Somehow I keep thinking of the word Boca B@#$%! That’s what some women are called in this town for various reasons and I truly don’t think I am one nor do I fit the stereotype — you know, more plastic then real, fake boobs, permanent duck lips, bleached blond hair, and an Amex card with a mile high limit to be spent at Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales.

I much prefer Target and Old Navy. πŸ™‚

I consider myself a happy person, one that looks on the bright (sunny) side of life and always tries to think positive.

I’d rather think the glass is half-full then half-empty.

I like to smile and laugh.

And I like to be Susi.

So, the question is.

Should I go ahead and make the change?

Should I just leave it be and deal with it?

There is some work involved with doing this and I know that.

It’s not something I’m doing lightly.

But it feels like something I need to do… for myself and my blog home.

This is my little corner of the blogosphere and I love it here. Truly.

I’m just not too happy with the name.

I’ve e-mailed a few bloggy friends who have been with me from the beginning and who’s opinion I greatly value.

The majority at this point said “Go for it.” That I should do what feels right and not to worry too much about all the technical stuff.

If I do decide to go ahead I know hubby will be there to help me and make stuff happen. But I want to be sure before I take this step and drive him up the wall!!! πŸ™‚

Any and all feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you guys! For reading, listening and being here.

xo, Susi

• Corey November 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Ticket number 1 from 13nov12: “request for new domain” “DNS transfer request’ “hosting account changes” USER generated request. *NOT A TROUBLE TICKET* This is a request to change domain authority DNS and URL to alternative URL of user choosing. No information provided in ticket, no URL included in ticket. Have user submit URL in email referencing ticket 1 from today’s date. Ticket will remain admin open for 24 hours. -CKleiman Senior Enterprise Support Engineer.

• Susi November 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I love you!!!! πŸ˜‰

• Corey November 15, 2012 at 7:24 am

ADMIN CLOSE ticket 1 from 13nov12. Ticket administratively closed for lack of prosecution. Ckleiman Senior Enterprise Support Engineer

• Helen November 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Go for it indeed! I’ve been wrestling with the same thing for a few months now. I randomly picked my blog name way back when I originally started it and it was just for me and family and friends. When I started blogging again regularly in February, I just picked up on the same blog.

I hate my blog name, though.

I say, go for it. Find a name you like, that’s you and that really fits and just do it!
    Helen recently posted..Thanksgiving Favorites {recipe}My Profile

• Susi November 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thanks, Helen, I’m working on it. Hope you will find something you like. as well. πŸ™‚

• Tami November 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I changed my blog name when I did an entire blog overhaul. It took awhile for my blog friends to realize that it was still me and not a new blogger. I say GO FOR IT! It’s your blog, it’s what makes you happy!
    Tami recently posted..Blogging Design ~ Lesson #1 ~ Scrolling Button BoxMy Profile

• Susi November 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Yes, I remember when you did it. And I love it… the whole thing. I figure that the people that want to be here will continue to be regardless of the name! At least that’s my hope! πŸ™‚

• Rorybore November 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Be you!
    That’s why we are coming back again and again. <3
    the techno stuff….it won't matter.
    also, how awesome is your hubby. What a man, getting things done…. πŸ™‚
    Rorybore recently posted..Tuesday Coffee Chat: A Hard LessonMy Profile

• Susi November 14, 2012 at 11:59 am

Leslie, that’s what I want… to be ME! And yes, hubby gets things done. Thank goodness!!! πŸ™‚

• Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell November 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I say go ahead and do it now. It’s so much harder and a much bigger hassle to change it down the road. If your heart wants you to change, do it!
    Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell recently posted..Daydreaming – WWMy Profile

• Susi November 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

Thanks, Liz. I figured it’s better to do it now rather than later.

• Sandra November 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Many people change blog names. Sometimes things just don’t feel the same after being in the blogging world after a while. The important thing is that you, the writer, the owner, the creator, is comfortable and happy with it. Since you have such a wonderful Hubs offering help (that was the SWEETEST thing up there), I would go for it to make you feel at home. That’s what you ultimately want, isn’t it? I really can’t wait to see what name you will choose! Very exciting, Susi-with-an-i!
    Sandra recently posted..Dear Old ThingsMy Profile

• Susi November 14, 2012 at 11:57 am

Thanks for your encouragement, Sandra. Still playing around with the new name. I want to make sure it’s right and will be able to grow with me, or I with it!

• Melissa November 15, 2012 at 1:23 am

Susi with an “i” is a fabulous name, and I can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with! I vote definitely go for it. Your blog should represent you, just like the clothes you wear. As fashion preferences and trends evolve, so do our blogs. And every now and then our blogs (and our closets!) need an overhaul. I’m so proud of your for taking on this challenge. I need to change my blog’s URL, so I do hope you will share your learnings along the way. I know many of us are in the same boat. Best of luck!
    Melissa recently posted..Again? {Not-so-wordy Wednesday}My Profile

• Susi November 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

Thank you so much Melissa. It is a bit of a challenge and I hope, that at the end I will come up something that I love and that’s me. I like your view on how we evolve!!! πŸ™‚

• TBM November 15, 2012 at 4:58 am

I do miss shopping at Old Navy. Haven’t seen one here. You have to do what makes you happy. If changing the name will make you happy, then yes, do it!

• melissa November 15, 2012 at 6:31 am

What a great picture of you, Susi!

I think our blogs evolve and grow with their owners, so it’s only natural that you might find yourself feeling like you’ve outgrown the name.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
    melissa recently posted..Connected MamaMy Profile

• Susi November 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

Thanks, Melissa. Still working on it. It’s harder than I thought…

• BonnyBard November 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I totally understand the reticence, I had to completely change blogs and finding a new name was… well… incredibly hard. I haven’t been following very long, and I haven’t finished back-reading your posts, but while I was reading this post I kept thinking that SunnySusi would be a great name for you. I’m not suggesting you should use it, the name of your blog is so personal, all I’m saying is that if you identify yourself in your name this much then your name should be part of your blog, cause few things are as personal as a blog, right?
    good luck with the decision, and the change if you make it, it’s a bit of work but always works out in the end!
    BonnyBard recently posted..Dear DadMy Profile

• Susi November 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thank you so much for commenting. It’s funny that you should say “SunnySusi” would be a good name. It’s one I’m considering. Hopefully, I will be able to put things in motion soon. πŸ™‚

• Karen November 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I say go for what you feel is “you.” I changed my blog name when it didn’t fit me any more. I was very happy with that decision.
    Karen recently posted..LiesMy Profile

• Susi November 18, 2012 at 12:05 am

Thanks, Karen. It’s in the works and I’m very excited for the change to happen. πŸ™‚

• Corey November 18, 2012 at 9:16 am

Ticket 3 18nov12 ADD/REMOVE/CHANGE reference ticket 1 from 13nov12. This is a user generated request to change change domain authority DNS and URL for external Godaddy hosted site “bocafrau.com”. URL included in ticket reference material. Ticket progress is IN WORK, est time to completion 1 hour. Please allow for up to 48 hours for DNS propagation to occur. -CKleiman Senior Enterprise Support Engineer
    Corey recently posted..Friday Fill InMy Profile

• Susi November 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Thank you so much!!! πŸ˜‰

• Sarah K. (The Mama Pirate) November 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm

What a tough decision. Especially when all so much bloggy advice is about branding and building your brand, blah blah blah. It can be hard to think about renaming yourself.

Personally I say go for it. If you’ve really thought it over and you’re not in love with your name (or brand) as it is now, change it and be happy! Good luck and big bloggy hugs!
    Sarah K. (The Mama Pirate) recently posted..7 more daysMy Profile

• Susi November 24, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Sarah, it sure was a tough decision. But I’m glad, I did some soul searching…