It’s been a while since I’ve been tagged by one of my fellow bloggers. The online game of tag seems to have slowed down a bit and taken a break. So, imagine my surprise, when one of my fave bloggy friends, Rorybore of Time Out For Mom mentioned today that she tagged me in the “Five things that tickle my fancy” tag.
The first things that popped into my mind are actually not a thing, but a they.
They are five lads from Manchester/England and they were on top of the world during my teenage years. Just the other day, I found some of the albums from the height of their success.
They are – Take That – a British boy band that made my teenage heart beat faster and my friends and I squeal in delight every time a new song came out or a new poster was included in our favorite teen magazines.
(Can you really blame me?) 🙂
And I can’t believe that now, as a mom of three in my mid-thirties, I still enjoy their music. But I guess, once a boy band groupie, always a boy band groupie.
My room was covered wall to wall and ceiling to ceiling with the smiling faces of Robbie, Howard, Gary, Marc and Jason, not a speck of wallpaper to be seen anywhere.
Looking back now, I can understand why my mom thought I was a little crazy, especially seeing how my own tween daughter swoons over One Direction. 🙂
Just yesterday, as I was working out on the elliptical, I was listening to one of their best of albums and just had so much more energy making it through.
Really, going back down memory lane, listening to all these songs and still remembering most of the lyrics, just made me so happy!!!
Here are five of their songs…
1) Babe – This is the song that started it all for me. I’m pretty sure my friend K. told me about it in school and I saw it on MTV sometime later. The rest, they say, is history!!!
2) Could it be Magic – All I can say is ROBBIE WILLIAMS. Love how bouncy this song is and always makes me want to dance.
3) Never Forget – Howard Donald, sigh. I could never decide if I liked him or Robbie better. Loved his dread locks and nipple piercing way back when and also, that he speaks German. I remember this being one of their last new songs out just before I moved here and also, right before Robbie left the band and they
broke up took a break.
4) Patience – They grew up so nicely. Leave it to my fellow Take That lover and best friend in Germany to keep me up to date and send me their new release when they got back together (without Robbie) for their 20th anniversary.
5) The Flood – Robbie is back, even if just for this album. Love this song. Love seeing all 5 of them back together. Love the video – rowing on the Thames river, seeing all those sights in London that I’ve seen with my own eyes. Remembering standing under the London Eye with my family trying to decide if we want to go up… And also, being kind of in awe that here I am, still listening to them and them back together still making music. It’s pretty cool.
So yeah, the five “things” that tickle my fancy – the Fab Five, as they were known back then. They never made it big here for some reason but in Europe, Asia and even South America, they were huge!!!!
Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane!