{Focus on Mom} – September 2013

September 15, 2013

How is it the middle of September already? It just crept up on me without any warning.

The past two weeks were just strange – without any true routine, random days off and unexpected weekend trips that took longer than anticipated. To say I crave some normalcy and finally get back into the school rhythm is an understatement – and yes, I did have tons of fun!

So, here we are, the middle of the month, and you know what that means, right? Well, even if you don’t – I’ll tell ya!

It’s time for our monthly Focus on Mom link up.

Every month, Nicolette of Working on a Project and I, challenge ourselves and you to get out from behind the camera and step out in front of it. We ask you to think about capturing the simple everyday moments that years from now you and your family will treasure most, regardless of what you were wearing or what kind of camera you were using.

Here are a few of my moments in front of the camera from the last month.

1) I took this selfie after one of our morning walks. We decided to chance the storm clouds and threatening rain and go for it. Unfortunately, the rain won and by the time we got home, hubby and I were trenched. BUT we walked!!!

drenched mommy

2) A few weeks ago, we had Little One all to ourselves for one night and took her out and about for a fun evening. Here we are at a new restaurant we tried for dinner. It was great.

mommy and daddy

3) And after dinner, a picture in front of the fountain – just mommy and Little One.

mom with little one

4) Here I am with my older two the next day after we collected them from their friends’ houses. Mommy is happy to have her brood back together.

mom with her big kids

5) Fun in the sun and the pool at my mom’s house. This is were our unexpected, longer than anticipated but super fun trip took us. We all had a blast spending time with my aunt and uncle who are visiting from Germany. I asked the husband for one or two pictures with me in them and he went a little crazy with my camera! 🙂

focus on mom september 2013

I hope, you will join us and show of your moments in front of the camera!

Starting this month, Nicolette and I have decided to feature one fellow “Mom” each month to highlight and share with you. This month we are highlighting Greta from Gfunkified – she’s lovely all around and a pleasure to “know” in the blogosphere.

Greta FOM Sept Feature

Greta set an amazing goal of running 500 miles in 2013 and is on track to make that happen very soon. She is currently fundraising for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) and as part of their team will be running in the half marathon at Disney World this coming January.

Please visit Nicolette for more info on Greta and our efforts to help her raise funds for this great cause!

Your comments matter this month – so please, say “Hello!”.

How to join us:You can do either #1 or #2 below or both.

1. Link up your picture on one of our blogs. If you have a blog then add a link to your post. If not, then add a link to your Facebook photo, Instagram feed, or Twitter handle. Not sure how to find the link to your photo(s) on social media? It’s super easy. I wrote two posts to show you how: How to get a link to a photo on Instagram and Twitter and How to get a link to a picture on Facebook.
  2. Post your photo on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and add the #focusonmom to the description.We are going to use the #focusonmom across all social media to make this challenge as accessible as possible. What does that mean? You don’t need to have a blog to join us. All you need is an account with either Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
  3. Spread the word and Follow Us! If you follow us on Twitter (Nicolette / Susi / Melinda), Facebook (Nicolette / Susi /Melinda) and/or Instagram (Nicolette / Susi / Melinda) it will be easier to share our reminder posts and for us to share your posts as well. Focus on Mom Hosts
  4. Encourage others. Starting the 15th of each month click the hashtag on any of social media sites to see the pics shared. Show some love, make some new friends and support other women who have taken the time to get in front of the camera.
  5. Link Back. Please mention this challenge in your post and link back to one of our blogs. Thanks to Susi we have a button! Grab the code from the sidebar.

xo, Susi

• Rorybore September 16, 2013 at 12:04 am

I’d love to do this…but I am usually alone, or alone with the kids, so there’s no one to capture the picture.
    Ugh.
    I need to upgrade my iPhone — I don’t the 2 way camera on mine, so I can’t even do a decent selfie.
    But you look great – these are wonderful and this is such a great idea.

• Kerry September 16, 2013 at 6:36 am

What a great idea, a great way to get yourself back into the picture. If you are anything like me, I am always the one taking the picture and never satisfied with how I look in the photos!
    Good for you, looks like you have been having a lot of fun with your family!!

• Greta September 16, 2013 at 11:15 am

My husband always goes a little overboard when I ask him to take pictures, too. Either that, or he forgets and doesn’t take any. SIGH. Thankfully, my kids are pretty good at taking pictures now. 😉

Thank you again for your support, Susi! I truly appreciate it!

• ShanaNorris September 16, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I love the idea of this challenge.  Will definitely be putting it on my calendar for October!

• BocaFrau September 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm

ShanaNorris Shana, we look forward to having you! Start taking lots of pics now so you have some ready to go next month! 🙂

• BocaFrau September 16, 2013 at 12:22 pm

@Greta You are very welcome, Greta. You’ll do awesome, I just know it. As for the picture taking, my husband is hit and miss – LOL. And I should ask the kids for more help – never think of that. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 16, 2013 at 12:24 pm

@Kerry I used to be that way, Kerry. But since I started joining Nicolette and now becoming her co-host I make a point of getting in front of the camera no matter what. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 16, 2013 at 12:25 pm

@Rorybore Here’s an idea – have the kids take a few shots – not something I think about either but I’m going to try to make use of my minions a bit more! 🙂

• CookTheStory September 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I love this idea. I know I need to get in front of the camera (and video camera) more often. I will make an effort. Love thiese pics of you. You look like you’re happy and glowing with your family.

• Susi September 17, 2013 at 9:23 am

Christine, my kids sure bring out the best in me and the biggest smiles to boot – when they don’t make me tear out my hair. 🙂 And yes, make an effort – your kids won’t care how you look or how small the moment was,they’ll only care that they have a picture of you to treasure. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 9:27 am

CookTheStory Thanks so much. Do make an effort – your kids will thank you for it later. 🙂

• Kerry B September 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Greta is truly an inspiration! I sort her all the way and because of her I have learned all about you. I will join your challenge!!! but only in non swelling days!!! Kerry B new2two

• JenAnnHall September 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Focus on me?? Whatever for? Ugh. Maybe I’ll give it a try. Either way, GO GRETA!

• KateMcKinney September 17, 2013 at 1:02 pm

<3 Hi Greta! I like your face.

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Kerry B Ha ha, non swelling days, I like that. Looking forward to having you along. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 1:36 pm

JenAnnHall Yes, go Greta and yes, do give it a try Jennifer. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 1:37 pm

KateMcKinney We like her face too. 🙂

• juliecgardner September 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I am SO proud of Greta – for her 500-mile goal, her half-marathon accomplishment, and mostly for her generosity of spirit.
    Girl, you inspire me!
    Go go go!

• Thefamilypants September 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Greta you are an inspiration. You know I love ya. xo

• MommaBeThyName September 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Good work you’re doing, Greta! xoxo

• Nicolette Springer September 17, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I’m so jealous of the pool! Great captures. Thanks for being an awesome co-host!

• AudreyN September 17, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Oh your pictures are adorable! I need to get better about being in pictures with my boys!

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm

AudreyN Thanks Audrey. I always used to say that and now I am better at it because I make myself get in the picture and I’m getting better about not caring quite so much how I look. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Nicolette Springer Thanks and you’re welcome. I do love my mom’s pool and all the greenery she has around it. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 10:56 pm

MommaBeThyName It is, isn’t it? Greta is pretty awesome. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Thefamilypants She is an inspiration and we wish her nothing but the best. 🙂

• BocaFrau September 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm

juliecgardner I am amazed that Greta has almost reached her 500 mile goal – that’s a biggie.

• arnebya September 18, 2013 at 9:33 am

This is such a wonderful cause and the pictures are fantastic. I love finding out more about good things being done.

• BocaFrau September 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

arnebya Thank you. Yes, there need to be more good things being shared and this is good!!! 🙂

• {Instagram Sunday} September 22 September 22, 2013 at 11:39 am

[…] may have noticed that last week I skipped {Instagram Sundays}, instead I posted our monthly {Focus on Mom} link-up which is still open for your entries until the 29th of this […]

• %d bloggers like this: